She and Him
1 x LP
2014 EU issue on 180g vinyl LP - She & Him, and Classics is their new album, a compilation of timeless covers, that have been previously recorded by artists such as Billie Holiday, Johnny Mathis, Dusty Springfield, Louis Armstrong, and Elvis Costello.
Release date: 2014-12-17
2014 EU issue on 180g vinyl LP - Zooey Deschanel and M.Ward are She & Him, and Classics is their new album, a compilation of timeless covers, that have been previously recorded by artists such as Billie Holiday, Johnny Mathis, Dusty Springfield, Louis Armstrong, and Elvis Costello.
A1 Stars Fell On Alabama
A2 Oh No, Not My Baby
A3 It's Not For Me To Say
A4 Stay Awhile
A5 This Girl's In Love With You
A6 Time After Time
B2 Teach Me Tonight
B3 It's Always You
B4 Unchained Melody
B5 I'll Never Be Free
B6 Would You Like To Take A Walk?
B7 We'll Meet Again
1. "Stars Fell on Alabama" This jazz standard from 1934 was popularized by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.
2. "Oh No, Not My Baby" Written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, this was a modest hit for Maxine Brown in 1964.
3. "It's Not for Me to Say" This was Johnny Mathis' second single in 1957 and his first million-seller.
4. "Stay Awhile" A minor hit for Dusty Springfield in 1964, this song was written by Mike Hawker and Ivor Ramonde. They also penned "I Only Want To Be with You." (Nice guitar work from M. Ward here.)
5. "This Girl's in Love with You" A Burt Bacharach-Hal David tune that was a No. 1 smash for Herb Alpert in 1968. (Zooey changes the gender of the song, of course, and the arrangement speeds things up a bit from the original, shortening the original by a full minute. More nice guitar work from M. Ward on this one.)
6. "Time after Time" Not to be confused with the hit by Cyndi Lauper, this was written by the great Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne in 1947 and recorded the same year by Frank Sinatra.
7. "She" At age 50, Charles Aznavour was already in his third decade as an entertainer when he wrote and recorded this tender ballad in 1974.
8. "Teach Me Tonight" Another Sammy Cahn tune--this time working with Gene dePaul--also recorded by Frank Sinatra.
9. "It's Always You" This tune from 1940 was recorded by Sinatra when he was with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.
10. "Unchained Melody" This song hit the Top 10 by three different artists in 1955, but this arrangement is based more on the 1965 Righteous Brothers version that reached No. 4 in 1965.
11. "I'll Never Be Free" First popularized by Ella Fitzgerald with Louis Jordan in 1950.
12. "Would You Like to Take a Walk" This is the oldest song on this collection having first appeared in the Broadway musical "Sweet and Low" in 1930. It was later popularized by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. (I confess, I first heard the song on an old Bugs Bunny cartoon.)
13. "We'll Meet Again" This sentimental song was recorded by British singer Vera Lynn during the early years of World War II and provides a fitting close to this album.
Zooey Deschanel and M.Ward are She & Him, and Classics is their new album, a compilation of timeless covers, that have been previously recorded by artists such as Billie Holiday, Johnny Mathis, Dusty Springfield, Louis Armstrong, and Elvis Costello.
The duo first met on the set of the film The Go-Getter, in which Deschanel had a starring role. The director introduced them to each other, and asked them to sing a duet together to be played at the end credits of the film.
In honor of the full-bodied sound of the original classics, She & Him recorded the new album live, including full brass, strings, piano, bass, guitar, drums and flute on their rendition of Springfield's classic melody. Ward's guitar shimmers and flows beside Deschanel's whole-hearted and warm vibrato, weaving a hearty live version that allows for the spontaneity that captured the spirit of the songs in their truest form.
The band's first two albums, Volume One and Volume Two, were included on NPR's Listeners' Pick Best Music list. Volume Two was also #1 on the US Rock, Folk, and Independent Charts for several weeks. From there, the band's A Very She & Him Christmas was included on Rolling Stone's 25 Greatest Christmas Albums of All-Time. Volume 3 was released in 2013, and Pitchfork applauded Deschanel's "certain kind of charisma that allows a song to hang loosely but never fall apart," continuing, "Ward gives them enough room to sway leisurely, as though a warm breeze is rustling through."
Press for Classics is nothing but positive: "Breezy but sturdy, impeccably styled" - The New York Times, "As M. Ward's unflustered, vintage-sounding guitars gift memories of Chet Atkins and Les Paul, there's a welcome, brandies-by-the fireside serenity afoot." MOJO, "Pretty love songs set in a 'nation where summer never ends." - Rolling Stone.
This release: 2014