Ahmad Jamal's Alhambra
1 x LP
( 1961) - 2012 EU pressing on 180gr LP= recorded live in professional conditions over the following years. In 1961, Jamal, Crosby and Fournier were recorded at The Alhambra in Chicago (a club owned by Jamal himself!) and at the Blackhawk in San Francisco.
Release date:13-06-2012(Originally released in 1961)
2012 EU repressing on 180gr LP=The 1958 Pershing and Spotlite performances marked the turning point in Ahmad Jamal’s career. Thus, it is not surprising to find the same trio recorded live in professional conditions over the following years. In 1961, Jamal, Crosby and Fournier were recorded at The Alhambra in Chicago (a club owned by Jamal himself!) and at the Blackhawk in San Francisco. Those were to be the trio’s final recordings, for Israel Crosby died of a heart attack on August 11, 1962 (he was born in Chicago on January 19, 1919). The new trio, formed in 1963, would include Jamil Nasser on bass and Chuck Lampkin on drums. The Alhambra performances were originally issued on two LPs, one titled Ahmad Jamal’s Alhambra, and the other All of You. However, according to discographies, some titles from the Alhambra remained in the vaults and were never issued.
AHMAD JAMAL, piano
ISRAEL CROSBY, bass
VERNELL FOURNIER, drums
Live at Ahmad Jamal’s Alhambra, Chicago, late June 1961.
1) WE KISS IN THE SHADOW (Rodgers-Hammerstein) 5:04
2) SWEET AND LOVELY (Arnheim-Daniels-Tobías) 4:00
3) THE PARTY’S OVER (Styne-Comden-Green) 3:58
4) LOVE FOR SALE (Cole Porter) 4:02
5) SNOW FALL (Claude & Ruth Thornhill) 2:35
1) BROADWAY (Woode-McRae-Bird) 7:49
2) WILLOW WEEP FOR ME (Ann Ronell) 3:58
3) AUTUMN LEAVES (Prévert-Kosma) 3:52
4) ISN’T IT ROMANTIC (Rodgers-Hart) 4:28
5) THE BREEZE AND I (Lecuona-Stillman-Marks) 2:22
6) YOU’RE BLASÉ (Sievier-Hamilton) 3:29 *
* Bonus track: From the same sessions. Not on the original LP.
Label: Wax Time
Originally released: 1958
This release: 2009